Music and Technology in Harmony - All things sound and compositional on the web, from a UK based guitarist, composer and sound designer.

Friday, August 11, 2006

What the difference a day makes!

Wow after a plethora (big word I know...but I kind of like it) of posts, I have been a bit quite for a while....so apologise to those that read this....not many but I think there are a few out there. So why the big delay? Well once again life has gone into hyperdrive and I haven't had any time to do any typing (plus the fact I haven't been at work).

So what has been going on?

Well first off...The big news is that I have been accepted on to the 'Positive Soundscape Project' to do a PhD back up at Salford and I am over the moon about it! Infact I am over the moon and various other planets in the

Solar system. The chance to be working at the cutting edge of soundscape and hopefully some acoustic ecology is awesome and I can't wait to get started. In particular, I am really intrested to further my knowledge and passion for psychoacoustics. I will be hopefully able to pursure my intrest in determining a link between perception and acoustic phenomena and context. The other great thing about this project is that it is multi-disciplanary, so I will get to study social science, arts, psychology along with acoustics. I mean honestly could I have found anything more up my street?

The project starts in October and in the mean time I am frantically trying to find somewhere to live and move out of here at the same time.....all whilst doing this bloody job (I am still here....handed in otice....hasn't been accepted as of yet....very strange)...but needless to say, after a period of being in a dark place, there is finally light at the end of the tunnel....plus I think the PhD will open up so many potential new opportunities that I never have to come back to CorproWorld (tm) and sit at a desk in silence for 50 hours a week....plus the 20 hours a week spent on a train/bus....why do I do it?

So secondly...spent the most wonderful week in Bath last week doing the AXR271 Doing Philiosophy course. It was truly amazing experience and I was fortunate to be in an amazing group and meet some fantastic people. Our tutor Tim Chappell was beyond fantastic and a total inspiration in all things Philosophical! I came away with my head hurting but feeling like I had run a mind marathon. Being back in the real world is very strange! Being able to sit with people and have fantastic discussions and arguements was a joy to behold, something that it is very hard to do in the real world
(especially for me at my work where it is hard to even have a conversation...did I say conversation? I actually mean say a complete sentence..)

Thirdly, Jenny has gone on her big adventure now, she is spending a year in India working for the Akanksha foundation setting up their teaching circiculum. It is a really big deal and I am inspired by her passion for the job and the guts to just get up and go to India. From my point of view it is sad as I am now in a half empty(full?) house, but it is great for her to be able to realise her dreams!

Film wise, I am in the final throws of finishing Kothai's film Aisha and Nadeem. There has been another picture edit after some initial screening, which has brought the film down in length and thus there is some chopping to do with the sound. Hope to get this all done this weekend for a final mix with the composer next weekend.

So that is about it for now...watch this space for some other updates soon.

Peace

Neil

2 Comments:

Blogger Hal Weaver said...

"Running a mind marathon", yeah, I can relate to that. Good luck with the big transition my friend. The study project sounds like it was designed just for you. Go off and be brillant.

OK HW

4:25 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are my hero! xxx Have fun on the other side of the solar system and remember to keep in touch with us 'mortals.' You're going to rock the PhD world!
Love, J

6:45 pm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home