Music and Technology in Harmony - All things sound and compositional on the web, from a UK based guitarist, composer and sound designer.

Friday, September 02, 2005

Just a short one

Hmm presentation over....went well. No corrections, so I think I am done! Just got to get my thesis hardbound......and wait for the result!


Been working on the new website....www.spencerbruce.com...still work to be done, and I know it is bad to put up a half finished website....but it is being completed as we speak.

Did the Prodrive competition in SOS this month....can be seen at www.spencerbruce.com/media/prodrive.wmv

So it is all go. Just order a new computer as mine has now died with the stresses of film scoring and recording...but it was in the pipeline for some time. Gone with an Intaaudio AMD system. Dave at Intaaudio is one of the most helpful sales people I have ever dealt with and spent ages divising the system for me and provided me with a system which he knew he wouldn't be making as much profit from....well he has certainly got the return business. Just have to wait until it turns up now, and spend a couple of days installing software!

Sadly now that I have Kontakt 2, Stylus RMX and Stormdrum, my machine can basically run about one VSTi instance before it craps out. I can't even play the demo song on Samplitude! I have been speaking with Samplitude guys in Germany (who were also very helpful....is this a new trend in customer services?) and they ran a remote systems diagnositc on may current machine and well there was 3 pages of problems! Admittedly some of those could be fixed with reinstalling the OS and upgrading bits a pieces (such as a bad RAM chip), but it isn't worth the hassle, when i would probably only prolong life a few more months. What with my new business venture looming, and hopefully a few scoring jobs (unpaid...but at least jobs!) I can't be messing around configuring computers all the time and worrying if they will die.

The system I ordered benchmarked with 120 tracks, 30 VSTi's and 30 reverb plugins at 45-50% CPU usage. That is cool by me! If the worst comes to the worst (Well something I am going to do anyway, is running FXTeleport to use my old machine as a VST host for some of the plugins)

Oh and I failed my Japanese exam! But then again I expected pretty much to!

ANyway, onwards...have to finish my Music for the Media unit 6 asap...(on my slowly dying computer!) and get some business planning together!

Peace

Neil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home