Music and Technology in Harmony - All things sound and compositional on the web, from a UK based guitarist, composer and sound designer.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Clone Wars

So I am currently back in the rat race, luckily only for a short period. I am having to do the commute into London everyday and it is currently taking between an hour and a half and two hours each way. Such a good use of time (!).

But I have to say how much it strikes me, looking at people on the train, how people are just becoming like clones.

They just seem to be doing the same thing day in day out, year after year, there is not a happy face to be seen anywhere. Not a random act of kindness, just misery and brooding anger under the surface just waiting to snap (and I have already witnessed a few cases of it snapping). Just how important is
that seat on the train when it strips you of your dignity? how good do you really feel Mr City guy when you manage to get a seat infront of a pregnant woman?

Just how important is it to have to wait as someone else goes through the ticket gate instead of pushing in front trying to save an extra second or two?

Why clones? Well just sitting watching all these people, all in the same clothes, the same iPods, the same papers getting being feed views on the world from a bias media. Reading magazines about what celebreties are doing, as if you know them and if being famous for being on Big brother really is an achievement to be proud of. Maybe I am being stereo typical, but it is hard to see anyone there thinking for themselves. They are doing a job to get the money to buy the treats to take away the pain of doing the job. Yes i know we need money to live and pay the bills, so we are really in a catch 22 situation. I guess for me it is a case of downsizing, finding more work which is fullfilling, educational, ethical, makes me want to jump up in the morning. Once your basic needs are met, what more do we really need? Friends, Family, experiences, time to think?

I guess this is quite a negative post, but it has just struck me how futile life in the west is. Is money making these people happy? I mean truly happy? Are we really free? I mean that is the other thing that struck is just the amount of CCTV cameras....everywhere. Life really is becoming a Orwell predicted in 1984. We are all being watched to make sure we conform, feed media propaganda (in most cases!), lawful protest being outlawed, fighting a perpetual
war against an unseen enemy (war on concept), provided with mindless tittle tattle without which we aren't worthy of being part of society. Fear of speaking your mind. The only safe place is in your head.

Yes I have been a clone, trying to buy happiness through things rather than through actions. This has been awake up call for me. Having just had my birthday (thanks Jenny for organising such a wonderful time on Saturday!), I have realised that time is flying by and I am wasting so much of it caught up
with this way of thinking. Time to focus on real goals and real experience. Time to live!

Peace

Neil

1 Comments:

Blogger Hal Weaver said...

Indeed. I have lived the clone life too my friend and heed the call make "Time to Live!". Hour and a half to two hour commute!? That would give you a lot of time to read, but doesn't leave much time for anything else. Good luck with balancing your new work life and here's hoping you only have to do it as long as needed.

To the future.

OK HW

2:31 pm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home