Music and Technology in Harmony - All things sound and compositional on the web, from a UK based guitarist, composer and sound designer.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Back to music!

Okay so as I mentioned before I haven't been listening to as much music these days. Why? well not really sure, perhaps it is to do with the fact that I don't feel comfortable doing it at home these days (re noisy neighbours...and I don't want to be a hyprocrite) and I guess the main reason is, nothing much is really rocking my world at the moment. I know I kind of went through this in a previous blog post, but it is really evident to me at the moment that my fav bands aren't putting out anything of any note.

Okay Yes, the last Dream Theater album has finally grown on me, but unlike Awake (which is probably my favourite DT album and took probably a year to grown on me ...) there are only a few songs on the album I like to listen to, the rest really does just sound like filler.....and not particularly good filler....sorry guys! I guess the other problem is that I have listened to so much of this stuff to DEATH....that the spark isn't quite there any more (except those albums listed in the Albums post below.)

But where is this going? Well, on Monday....I blew up my beloved iRiver (mp3 player), I have had it for almost 3 years now and it was fantastic....okay going technical here...it had a 40Gig hard drive and the main thing....the absolulte main thing....it could record wav files (uncompressed audio files to those not in the know)....so I could go out and use my fantastic microphones (via a preamp) and record as nature intented to this fantastic little box. It has recorded everywhere....the US, Cyprus, The Netherlands, Denmark...wow....and some dumbass with more letters after his name then sense....plugged it into the wrong adaptor....hmmm the nice smell of burnt electronic components filled the room (still lingering last night) in a fatal couple of minutes this little box was gone. Well I say gone I am sure it could be fixed, but in the society we live in these days it is cheaper to replace it....so sad.

Well it gets sadder....iRiver (and all mp3 players) a)don't make that model any more and b)none of their new models record wav files....just s**TTY mp3....sorry but they are okay for listening to on the train...but come on guys....c)No other manufacturer as far as I can see make one which records wavs and d)it is hard to find a player with a 40 gig hard drive (....I am NOT buying an IPOD....so don't even suggest it...I would rather fry my own nose!).

Okay, so yes I could buy a standalone recorder (which I am planning to do anyway....once the Fostex FR2-LE comes on the scene....end of the year I hope...and the M-audio microtracker and the Edirol E series are basically pants)...but the beauty of the iRiver was that I could have my music and record it....wow just like having my cake and eating it! Hmmmm that begs the question as Jenny once asked....why would you have your cake and NOT eat it? I think that is the basis of an important philosopical debate I think.

So...what am I getting at....well it has been two days....and I am missing my music....terribly!

Peace

Neil

2 Comments:

Blogger Hal Weaver said...

what a drag man. What model of iRiver was it? I'll keep my eyes out, maybe we can track down another one for you.

OK HW

2:31 pm

 
Blogger brucie said...

Hi there Mr W! It was an iHP-140...had a look on ebay and there was one...and well...it looked like it had be run over by a car! If you see one give me a shout! I am guessing that I will have to get some form of new one, but that is a nightmare...so much choice (except no recording!)

Thanks

Neil

11:03 am

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home