Music and Technology in Harmony - All things sound and compositional on the web, from a UK based guitarist, composer and sound designer.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Books

(Wow I am really getting these posts out these days!)

I mentioned a few posts ago that I would do a post relating to books I have just been reading....well here it is.

The reason I wanted to post about this is because I have found these books extremely fun to read and extremely inspiring.

The Big Questions

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Plato not Prozac

Buddhism Plain and Simple

The Little Earth Book

The Consolations of Philosophy

There is so much to say about these books, they really spoke to me. In a sense it is great to finally find books which relate to things I think about all the time. It is so wonderfully I am not alone in these thoughts. It its particularly poinent as I am currently studying for my OU residential school at Bath in July. I can't wait to go on it, and it looks as thought it will be incredibly stimulating and rewarding.

I have also been listening to some good music, to try and get me through the commute. In particular I have been listening to the fabulous

My Life in the Bush of Ghosts by David Byrne and Brian Eno
Within a dying Realm by Dead Can Dance (Lisa Gerrard's voice is amazing on this album)

The other discovery I have made is podcasting (well I knew it exists and I have even been planning my own for a while now), but I have found a few great sites offering fantastic podcasts. The BBC in particular seem to be really on the ball with this and they have podcasts of most of their best
programming.

Without doubt the Mark Kermode Film reviews are excellent and his review of the Da Vinci Code, certainly put a smile on my face. There can be found on the BBC website

I have also been told of a Philosophy podcast from Australia which is really interesting and can be found at The Philosopher's Zome

I have been having a big clear out of all my stuff and I am now approaching with trepidation the wonderful world of ebay. Yes after all these years, I haven't sold or brought something on the mighty 'bay. I feel so out of tough with the world. I guess like my Granddad feels when he goes into McDonalds! I
am sure it can't be that hard! I have had a fair bit of success with selling books and dvd's on Amazon and it feels great to see the pile slowly getting smaller. Sadly haven't mad to much money, but every bit helps to clear the debt mountain (ironically the mountain created by buying the items in the first place!). I have come to realise that much of the things I have brough we treats to get me through the miserable jobs I have had in the past. Buying
a book or magazine at lunchtime was an excuse to go out at lunch time and have a little treat to give me 10 minutes of pleasure in a miserable existence.

Sadly I am back in that place right now, but I am managing to get through without the treats (at the moment),instead I am writing in a jounral as an outlet for my thoughts (oh and reading all the books I have but haven't read yet!).

I am also having a studio clearout as I have a fair bunch of stuff now that just doesn't get used. Basically because I do everything on the computer now. I have some great synths/samplers from Native Instruments especially

Absynth 3
Kontakt 2

and my fav!!

Reaktor
(which means I can build any synth I like!) as well as Reason which serves as a good bread and butter synth module and Cameleon for something a little bit more 'out there'.

The main redundant item, is my Yamaha AW4416. A great unit (if a little noisy!) which If I was recording bands I would probably keep, but it is one of things (just like computers!) that you pay a real fortune for when they come out and then find that the second hand market values is about a tenth of
what you paid! Such is life I guess. I should have followed my own advice and invest in items which keep value(preamps, microphones). Basically applied my guitar buying philosophy to recording gear!

Hmm what a rambling post!

Peace

Nei

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home