Music and Technology in Harmony - All things sound and compositional on the web, from a UK based guitarist, composer and sound designer.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Freesound project

(wow a post a day....must be a record!)

I was introduced to this site the Freesound project a few months ago, and I have to see it is one of the best ideas I have seen on the web for a long time. I have been an active member since then, uploading numerous of my personal samples (pretty obscure items such as phone rings, washing machines etc). I have just been informed by another member that they are using some of my samples in there piece! That is so cool.

I will be actively adding many more files to the site in the next few months, as I have been going through my sample collection trying to get it into some sort of order.

On another note, here is a new piece of mine. Don't really have a title for it yet. I am considering making a CD without adding any titles to the works. I always get asked where I get the titles for my songs and what do they mean. 99% of the time they are just something that pops in my head, no real thought process at all. I hate to think
what art critics would write about them when trying to interupt them. I wonder that about a lot of art that you see in museums, with the long explanation of what the artist was thinking!

So the idea of no titles, is to allow the listen not to be swayed in any way,shape or form. You can make up your own mind!

This piece is a binaural CloudTrainpiece, so whilst it can be listened to on a normal stereo, it is best listened to with headphones (close backed are the best) to get the full surround effect. A stereo version can be found here CloudTrain

Also this is a relaxation piece, you can listen and immerse yourself in it. I was listening to it the other day whilst watching clouds go by.

I am currently about to start a recording session for a new binaural experience CD based around Guildford. This will be available through the syncro:sound website. I have been working behind the scenes to get syncro:sound back on track after a few set backs during the first few months of this year. Syncro:sound will focus fully on the provision of sound design services.

On top of that recently I have been 'beta testing' the acoustics and harmony parts of the new course from Music for the Media which looks like it is going to be a great course.

Film news! having completed a number of shorts this year which I am yet to upload to the website (well everything is hinging on the new site!), I am just about to start working on a new short entitled "The mirror". It is going to be a busy week, what with working full time and a 4 hour commute!

Enjoy!

Peace

Neil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home