Music and Technology in Harmony - All things sound and compositional on the web, from a UK based guitarist, composer and sound designer.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Springtime

Back again with an update on all the things going on here. I realise that I start most of my posts by saying..."Ooo it has been awhile"....well it has, but I am going to try to not start any more posts like this (Doh!).

Anyhow, what's new? Well, it has been quite a cultural month and I have managed to get to see
and hear a few things which have been great. First off, the previous post mentions 300....yes it
was a great trailer...but the film...well quite literally pants....in fact tight leather pants. I
would review by saying a great film, if you like men in pants shouting at each other in an over the top macho way. "we shall blot out the sun with our arrows", Shouts one person....the reply
"then we shall fight in the shade" and so it goes on and on. I did see in an Imax though...and came out with a sore neck. Lesson to be learnt....don't sit near the front in an Imax, cos you can't see anything (apart from pants in far to much close up detail)

Onwards, Inland Empire...okay...I am not sure what the hell I can say about this, it is either a work of genius or complete crap...I can't make up my mind....it was far too long though (3hrs +) and I am sorry but DV footage really does look pants on the big screen, but I am not sure if that was the point. In fact after leaving I wasn't sure of anything...Rabbits? what? eh?

Next, Hot Fuzz, very funny, lots of laughs....but Shaun of the Dead was better! So, Days of Glory....great film, lots of important issues, but sadly watered down by the Spielberg sugary ending....sad.

Next, Iraq in Fragments, very powerful documentary, but I left feeling it was quite one sided (but then again aren't documentaries that we produce in the west one sided too?) and I am not convinced by the ending which seem to portray the Kurds as living in happiness thanks to the war...I think not!

Music now!! So I went to see Tinariwen this month and I have to say it is without doubt one of the best concerts I have been to see. There was just something about the tone of the guitars which gets me every time, Aman Iman is without doubt one of the best musical and produced albums I have heard in a very long time, brings back the faith in music! I will say though, that watching these ex-freedom fighters from Mali playing in Bridgewater Hall, did take a little bit away from the experience. It all seemed a little to nice. I can only imagine what it would be like to see them at festival-au-desert. (Maybe a trip there is on the cards!).

In terms of festivals, I have finally got my tickets to this years Womad festival in July, which should be fantastic, especially as it the 25 year aniversery and Peter Gabriel is headlining....hopefully the weather will hold out!

Film wise, I am currently working on two new projects, both now had the final cut and the picture is locked. I will post details very soon.

I am sure there is more, but I will leave it at that!

Peace

Neil

2 Comments:

Blogger Hal Weaver said...

Neil-- sounds like you are very busy. No mention of DbD?

OK HW

12:03 pm

 
Blogger brucie said...

Ahhhh you got me there Mr Weaver! That will be in the next post!!

Zombies on a plane required time to prepare a post to do it justice!

Forget Snakes, they are SO last year!

Neil

3:16 pm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home